Woodward Compressor Control
Vertex Single or Dual Loop Performance and Protection
Vertex field configurable, standard off-the-shelf ready to perform
The Vertex is your compressor control, performance control, anti-surge control, system sequencer, operator control panel, and first-out indicator. This encompassing design minimizes external system devices as well as system installation, wiring, and troubleshooting.
This field configurable controller allows both major and minor functional changes to be made onsite or on-line as process changes require. The Vertex control’s first-out indicator logic indicates internal as well as external system-related alarm and shutdown conditions, greatly simplifying and reducing system troubleshooting.
Operator Control Panel (OCP)
The Vertex controller’s user-friendly front panel serves as both a programming station and operator control panel (OCP). This front panel allows engineers to access and program the unit to specific plant requirements and lets plant operators easily start/stop the compressor and enable/disable any control mode. Password security is used to protect all unit program mode settings. The controller’s 8” graphical display allows operators to view actual and setpoint values from the same screen, simplifying turbine operation.
Distributed Control System (DCS) Node
Designed to function as a plant Distributed Control System node, the Vertex can interface with the plant’s DCS via hardwired input/output signals or serial or Ethernet communications. The Vertex control uses SNTP (synchronized network time protocol) over Ethernet to allow users to synchronize the control’s real-time clock to the plant distributed control system.
With the capability to monitor and control all compressor based functions (i.e., bearing temperatures, vibration levels, control oil levels, etc.) the Vertex controller is also a cost-effective compressor control/protection device as well as a plant DCS monitoring node.
Integrated Package Replacement
As a replacement for CCC Series-3 and Series 3++ anti-surge controllers, the Vertex can be configured to function like these controllers but with two-times faster scan rates, improved surge anticipation logic, and one integrated package for all control functions (anti-surge control loop 1, anti-surge control loop 2, performance control, and dual-redundant control).
- Power: LV models: 18-36 Vdc / HV models: 88-264 Vac & 90-150 Vdc (50 watts max)
- Speed: 2 passive MPUs or 2 active proximity probes (0.5-32 000 Hz)
- Discrete Inputs: 8 configurable contact inputs*
- Analog Inputs: 4 configurable 4-20 mA inputs*
- Valve/Actuator Drivers: 2 actuator outputs, 4-20 mA or 20-200 mA
- Discrete Outputs: 8 configurable relay outputs
(24 Vdc @ 2 A, Form-C contacts)*
- Analog Outputs: 6 programmable 4-20 mA current outputs**
- Ethernet: 4 ports (Modbus TCP or OPC protocols)
- Serial: 1 Modbus port (ASCII or RTU) comm ports (RS-232 or RS-485 compatible)
- CAN: 2 ports (LinkNet-HT comm protocol)
(*) Optionally 16 additional inputs via LinkNet-HT module
(**) Optionally 2 additional outputs via LinkNet-HT modules
Vertex control capabilities include:
- Motor or Turbine Drive Interface Logic
- Inlet Throttle Valve Control
- Inlet Guide Vane Control
- Recycle Valve(s) Control
- Anti-Surge Control
- Performance Control (suction or discharge pressure or process flow)
- Surge Anticipation Logic
- Surge Protection Logic
- Surge Recovery Logic
- Load Sharing (parallel compressors up to three trains)
- User configurable
- Integrated operator control panel
- Surge detection and recovery logic
- Load sharing (up to 3 compressors in parallel)
- Expandable I/O via distributed modules
- Security (program is password protected)
- First-Out indication (alarms & shutdowns)
- Remote analog setpoints for performance control
- Bearing temperature monitoring/alarms/trips
- Vibration monitoring/alarms/trips
- Real-time clock synchronization via SNTP
- Ethernet and serial communications
- Sulfur-resistant conformal coating
- Certified for Hazardous Locations
- Ambient Air Temperature Range: -30 °C to +70 °C (-22 °F to 158 °F)
- Humidity: Lloyd's ENV2 test #1
- Dry Heat: Lloyd's ENV3
- Salt Fog: US MIL-STD-810, method 509.2, procedure 1
- Shock: Meets US MIL-STD-810C, method 516.2-1, procedure 1B
- Vibration: Lloyd's ENV2 test #1
Particulate Pollution Resistance: IEC 664-1 Pollution Degree 2 (normally only non-conductive pollution occurs)
IEC 60068-2-60: 1995 Part 2.60 Methods 1 and 4 (Flowing Mixed Gas Corrosion Test)
Gaseous Pollution Resistance: Module conformal coating withstands NO2, CO2, SO2, and H2S gases
Will withstand levels typical of telecommunications and computer installations as defined by Battelle Labs Class III (between IEC60721-3-3 classification 3C1 and 3C2, light industrial to urban industrial, heavy traffic)
To enhance the usability of the Vertex controller, you might consider purchasing these options:
RTCNet Modules – Used to apply Woodward distributed I/O modules to extend the Vertex controller’s input and output channels.
Vibration Sensor Kit – Optionally, users can apply 4-20mA accelerometer sensors with the Vertex to monitor unit vibration levels and alarm & trip on high vibration events. Refer to product manual for related kit part numbers.
RemoteView - Woodward’s RemoteView software program once installed on a computer or touch panel can be used as an engineering workstation and or remote operator control panel.
Stored Trend/Log File Service Tool – Woodward’s Control Assistant software service tool can be used to view real-time trends, saved trend files, upload and download Vertex control’s configuration files and alarm/trip logs.