Magnetic pickups are used to control the speed of a prime mover, speed controls compare actual speed to desired, or set, speed. The speed sensor most often used to detect prime mover speed is the magnetic pickup (MPU). When a magnetic material (usually a gear tooth driven by the prime mover) passes through the magnetic field at the end of the magnetic pickup, a voltage is developed. The frequency of this voltage is translated by the speed control into a signal which accurately depicts the speed of the prime mover.
- Type: Passive
- Use: Speed
- Peak-to-Peak: 50 Volts
- Thread: 0.625-18
- Thread Length: 2.0"
- DC Resistance: 200 ohms
- Number of Coils: Single Coil
- Produces electrical frequency
- Easily installed on engine
- Requires no energizing circuit from control
- Used with all electronic controls
- Available for hazardous location installation