Woodward's new R-Series actuators are electronic modules integrated with a brushless DC motor and gear box. A simple change of the gear box enables different torque outputs. Both the R-120 models accept either a 4 to 20 mA, 0 to 200 mA, or PWM (pulse width modulated) command signal while providing a 4 to 20 mA output shaft position signal that external devices can use as direct feedback of the output shaft's position. The 73° of travel enables the actuator to be connected directly to butterfly-type throttles, eliminating the need for failure-prone intermediate linkage. This larger rotary travel also provides more useful work output than actuators with the same torque output but with less rotary travel.
The R-Series actuators are ideal for use on control valves in reciprocating engine applications that include fuel throttles, wastegates, exhaust gas recirculation (EGR), compressor recirculation (bypass), waste heat recovery (WHR), and exhaust. Additional applications on reciprocating engines include variable turbine geometry (VTG) turbocharger actuation.
Woodward has coupled R-Series actuators with its newly-designed Glo-Tech hot valves to precisely control the flow of high temperature gases up to 780°C. The R-Series actuators in the Glo-Tech System are sized to match the valve, minimizing the electrical power required while providing fast, precise valve positioning. TheGlo-Tech System of valves and actuators helps engines from 750 kW and above meet their performance and emissions goals.
Advantages Over Other Rotary Actuators:
- Accurate, non-contacting, position sensing
- Lower cost than similar electric actuators delivering the same torque
- Higher torque output in a smaller package
- Multiple output torques available using the same motor and electronics
- Low supply current
- High accuracy: ±-1.36% of full travel
- Robust control over a wide range of friction
- Higher temperature rating (up to +105°C)
- Rotary output with 73° of travel for greater work output
- Lower weight than LAT actuators
- Meets IP67 ratings; withstands rain and power washing
- Designed to pass marine certifications
- Custom cabling options